Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Book Review: To All The Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han


When I write, I hold nothing back.  I write like he'll never read it.  
Because he never will.  Every secret thought, every careful observation, 
everything I've saved up inside me, I put all into the letter.  When I'm done,
I seal it, address it, and then I put it in my teal hatbox.  
They're not love letters in the strictest sense of the word. 
My letters are for when I don't want to be in love anymore. 
They're for goodbye.  Because after I write my letter, I'm no longer 
consumed by my all-consuming love.  I  can eat my cereal and not wonder
if he likes bananas over his Cheerios too; I can sing along
to love songs and not be sining them to him.
If love is like a possession, maybe my letters are like my exorcisms.
My letters set me free.  Or at least they're supposed to.  

What if all the crushes you ever had found out how you felt about them... all at once?
 Lara Jean Song keeps her love letters in a hatbox her mother gave her.  They aren't love letters anyone else wrote to her; these are ones she's written.  One for every boy she's ever loved- five in all.  When she writes, she pours out her heart and soul and says all the things she would never say in real life, because her letters are for her eyes only.  Until the day her secret letters are mailed, and suddenly, Lara Jean's love life goes from imaginary to out of control.  

     Lets start with this: This is NOT your typical girly romance story, although it sounds like it.  I absolutely loved how this book seemed predictable, but then everything you think will happen, does not happen.  I usually prefer reading dystopian and fantasy books, but I am happy I decided to go out of my comfort zone and try something I would normally not read.  I loved Jenny Han's writing and how Lara Jean was a very relatable character to me (Plus, she just has the cutest clothes!).  The book shows the importance of family love, as long as friendships and relationships.  The bond Lara Jean and her two sisters share is breathtaking and beautiful.  This is the perfect book to read after reading a very sad book and you feel as though you can never be happy again, trust me, I have a lot of those moments.  To All the Boys I've Loved Before is a very happy book, but it is sad in some parts.  I give it a 4 out of 5 star rating, and will most certainly purchase more of Jenny Han's books, because she is a very good writer.  If you're still not sure of this book, you should go ahead and read it anyway, that's what I did.  I'm not going to lie, I almost gave up on this book because I'm not used to reading this genre of books, but by page 100 I was sucked into Lara Jean's story and was trying to guess what may happen next!  This is such a good read, I sat down twice and finished it in the time span of a day.  I promise you won't regret reading To All the Boys I've Loved Before.       


~Kate




No comments:

Post a Comment