Saturday, April 12, 2014

Book Review: The Forsaken by Lisa M. Stasse

Description:
 "When the rest of the world has given up on you, who will you become?
Alenna Shawcross hasn't seen her parents since they were dragged out of her house by government soldiers of the UNA, a new nation formed from the remains of Canada, the USA, and Mexico.  And now, as a sixteen-year-old orphan, she has failed a government personality test designed to diagnose subversive tendencies. 
As punishment, Alenna is banished to the wheel, a mysterious island where all the kids who fail get sent.  A place where the conditions are brutal, and a civil war rages between two very different tribes of teenagers. 
So when Aleena meets Liam, a charismatic warrior who is planning to escape, she must find the strength to make a difficult decision: to either accept her new life on the wheel, or to embark on a journey that will uncover shocking secrets about the UNA-and her own identity as well."

I first read this book last year, when someone recommended it to me.  Not a lot of people know of this book, and I'm very happy I have come across it.  Aleena had never seemed 'weak' to me, even though all of the challenges and heartbreak she is challenged with.  All of the characters live in constant fear, and no knowledge as to why they were sent to the island.  The government claimed that they were going to be murders, psychopaths, and others of that kind.  But, none of these teenagers seem anything but sane.  

The Forsaken will appeal to you if you like dystopian worlds, such as Veronica Roth's Divergent and Suzanne Collins' The Hunger Games.  I have read both of those, and absolutely love them.  Although The Forsaken is absolutely different from those two books, it is alike in it's dystopian theme, plot twists, and strong characters. 

This book left me wondering, questioning, and flipping the pages almost faster than I can read the words.  The ending left me in total shock and awe, Stasse did an amazing job at building suspense, and having a shocking cliff hanger for her debut novel! I like how the plot of this book is totally original, one-of-a-kind, and unique, Stasse did a brilliant job at creating the perfectly imperfect dystopian world. I do highly recommend the book and give it 3 out of 5 stars! I have just recently found out that it is the first book of a trilogy, and will be purchasing the other two books as soon as possible.  The order of the series is: The Forsaken, The Uprising, and The Defiant, set to be released July 8th, 2014.  I will read and review the second and third book as soon as I possibly can, and I am looking forward to finishing up the Forsaken trilogy!  (I mean, how awesome are the covers!?!?!?!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment